Educators demonstrate a broad knowledge base and an understanding of areas they teach.

How I met standard 6 during my 490 practicum:

Since I was placed in a Grade 6/7 class, I had a lot of relearning to do before I could teach my lessons, especially in mathematics. I watched numerous youtube videos and had mini-lessons with my coaching teacher to relearn how to do specific math equations before I wrote my lesson plans. After I had prepared myself, I was ready to teach. One poster I found particularly useful was on “How to Make a Mixed Number Mad”, changing a mixed number into an improper fraction. I made copies of this and gave them to my class as a helpful reminder when they were doing their work. One other notable thing I learned during this practicum is that it is okay to say “I don’t know”. There were several times that I was asked a question that I did not have an answer for. Instead of making something up or trying to think of the answer, I would be honest and tell the students that I didn’t know but I would look it up and let them know later or the next day. I think this helped build a stronger relationship with this class because it showed them that, while I may be the teacher, I am also still learning, just like them.