Educators contribute to the profession.

How I have contributed to the teaching profession thus far:

I believe in making connections and building relationships with all members of the educational community. I take every opportunity I can to learn from and meet new people in the education field. During my 490 Practicum I developed a great relationship with not only my coaching teacher, but the other Grade 6/7 teacher at the school, the secretary, and the librarian. All four of these wonderful individuals helped me succeed in this practicum.

During my 491 Practicum, I made great connections to many of the staff members in the school and truly felt like a member of that school community. I co-planned and taught two units with the teacher candidate in the other Kindergarten classroom, a dance unit and a social studies unit. One of the EA’s in the school offered to teach the students a penguin dance while we were doing our penguin unit. Another EA came in to teach us a Hawaiian dance during our Hawaiian party day as she was from Hawaii. I also co-planned a lesson on the medicinal uses of local plants with the school’s Indigenous Education Worker (more information on this lesson under standard 9). 

During my first year in the education program, I volunteered for the Ron Brent Elementary School Open House where I helped serve breakfast to students and their families.

As a parent, I have been a member of the Westwood PAC for the past three years. This has allowed me the opportunity to be part of the Westwood community. I volunteer for the Breakfast Program each year, as often as I am able to, and I have volunteered for various other activities put on by the PAC, such as the Family Fun Days.

I firmly believe in sharing resources. I constantly share educational resources with my fellow teacher candidates. Fall 2020, I created a google drive account, for those who wished to participate, to share their lesson plans/resources from our 391, 490, and 491 Practicums. We now have over 100 resources available in this google drive for all of us to use. I am always available for other teacher candidates to come to for help or ideas. I have helped (and have been helped by) many of my fellow teacher candidates throughout the two years of the program. I have also helped several of the first year teacher candidates and have given my number to one of the EA’s that I met while on last practicum who recently applied to the program to help in any way that I can when they begin the program.

I was a member of the Education Club through UNBC for both years of the program as a Member at Large. I helped the executive team plan and implement activities and/or fundraisers.

UNBC Student Led Potluck Lunch