Educators implement effective planning, instruction, assessment and reporting practices to create respectful, inclusive environments for student learning and development.

How I met standard 5 in my 491 practicum:

One example of how I met this standard would be from my social studies lesson on community. For this lesson I created a PowerPoint to show students some different types of communities including: family, classroom, school, and Prince George. We then looked important people and places within our Prince George community. Students were very engaged in this lesson and were excited when we got to a picture of somewhere they recognized, such as the Aquatic Centre. Students were able to connect to our community through the examples in the PowerPoint and were able to share afterwards where their favourite place was. After the PowerPoint and discussion we created our own community books. These books had examples of some of the people and places from the PowerPoint with a blank page at the end for students to draw a picture of their own favourite place, this could be anywhere in the world that was important to them.

Aside from this lesson, other examples of how I met standard 5 would be: using multiple sources to gather information for my lessons, including the DLC, the Prince George Public Library, the school library, and through collaboration with other teachers. I used various methods to present information to the students, such as books (fiction and nonfiction), videos, music, flashcards, dances, guest speakers (staff members already in the school), art, manipulatives, and many others.

For each lesson I carefully considered how I would make it successful for all students in the classroom, adapting certain aspects to meet their needs to ensure they were still learning the key concepts, even if through a modified way. I always discussed my lessons prior to teaching them with my coaching teacher and adapted them as needed based on her feedback. For each lesson I engaged some form of formative assessment for the students, usually in the form of a quick one-on-one discussion. I would share my assessments with my coaching teacher daily and weekly.